Thursday, September 17, 2009

Random Bits of Humor

On Labor Day, we took a family bike ride. This struck me as funny for a couple of reasons:

1. Rachel and Zekers both rode their own bikes, while Karis rode on the extension behind Danny's bike, and Mr. Moo rode in the child's seat behind me. It's been like this for the past several months, ever since I told the kids that riding bikes would help their legs get stronger for the kiddie tractor pull coming up in September! Now they can't get enough of riding their bikes - it's hard to motivate them, but every once in a while you hit on that perfect thing, and this was it!

2. On that day, apparently, "riding bikes" meant "racing as fast as possible through puddles at the now-empty fairgrounds." You can see the results below. Fortunately, every bit of mud washed out. It's not too difficult to tell which child was shielded by the baby seat . . .








This is Zekers, about five minutes after insisting, "I'm not tired at all, Mom!"










Danny was away speaking at a men's retreat last weekend, so I planned some "special" things for the kiddos and I to do together. We hung out at the park, tried the new frozen yogurt place in town (a big hit!), and to top it all off, I rented The Parent Trap - the original one with Hailey Mills. Rachel has a CD with the song "Let's Get Together" from the movie. She sings it all the time and has wanted to see the movie for months.

Well, she loved The Parent Trap, but what I didn't realize was that there is actually a Parent Trap 2 on the same disc, which she begged for days to watch. So, last night, the night after the movie was due back, we finally relented.

It was AWFUL. Or at least, the few snippets I saw were awful, and poor Danny was forced to watch the whole thing while reading books to Mr. Moo. It had to have been made in the late '70s, and Hailey Mills was now in her 50's, with about the cheesiest plot line, not to mention "acting", I've ever seen. The real entertainment was watching Danny's face!

Then there was the time several days ago when we were driving in the van, listening to Karis sing "Seal, seal, seal without llamas, it is not good to have." After about 10 minutes, we finally figured out that she was attempting to sing a song from one of her Scripture memory CDs, entitled "Zeal Without Knowledge." I think maybe we've taken one too many trips to the zoo!

And here it is . . . the day we've been "training" for all summer: the one, the only - Kiddie Tractor Pull at Jeff & Tammy Dietrich's missionary benefit. All three of the kiddos placed. There were three contestants in each age category. Karis brought home a 2nd place trophy, Rachel third and Zekers placed first. This was HUGE for him, since last year, I think he MIGHT have moved the tractor about 6 inches. All three of them fared better than Danny and I, who were soundly beaten in the cornhole tourney. I just had to laugh, though, at how important those trophies were to them. Now I have to find a place to put the stinkin' things!




4 comments:

marilyn66 said...

LOVE Karis's thumbs up in the first photo and Big M trying to imitate it!! I think he's giving her the finger instead!! LOL!

marcie said...

okay.... hate to say it but I think your family members are officially HICKS! : ) Tractor pull? Sounds fun..but VERY midwestern. No shame, right? Looks like they had a great time!

Charity said...

You bet'cha, Marcie! We're hicks through and through, and lovin' it! :):)

marilyn66 said...

After a closer look, I see Malachi is actually gesturing, "One way, Jesus!"